Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sauerkraut

I love sauerkraut.  I don't think there are many things in the world that are better than some good sauerkraut.  I am so lucky that I am German :)

My aunt sent this to me..THANK YOU AUNT EVA!

1 jar of sauerkraut (not in a can..has too much of a tin taste)
1/2 lb +/- bacon (chopped)
1 onion (chopped)

1. Take the sauerkraut and rinse it. If you like the 'sauer' taste, then don't rinse too well. Put it in a pot, cover with water sprinkle with salt and boil for 20 minutes.
2. While it is cooking, take the bacon and fry it up. When it is about 2/3 done, take the onions and add. Cook until they are translucent. You don't want the bacon to be too crunchy.
3. After the kraut is done, drain.
4. Add the bacon/onion mixture and mix well.

We made this tonight and i wish that I hadn't rinsed it at all. I love a strong sauerkraut taste and even though this was really good, it was a bit bland. Next time, next time!

No comments:

Cranberry Salsa Dip