Monday, January 25, 2010

Mexican Bean and Rice Salad

Disclaimer: I really, REALLY love the taste of cumin, lime juice, etc. If you don't..you may not like this.
I had some leftover brown rice from the Asian BBQ Chix and didn't want Fried Rice...this was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend serving this with the Wet Burrito. The flavors didn't blend well enough for us.


1 C cooked brown rice
1 (15 oz) can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.25 oz) can whole kernal corn, drained
1/2 small onion, diced (I used dried onions)
1/2 green bell pepper, diced (omitted this b/c I didn't have one)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (omitted this too, but used tabasco sauce**)
1/2 lime, zested and juiced (used lime juice from a bottle)
2 TB. chopped cilantro leaves (used dried and used much less)
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
salt to taste

-Add all ingredients in a bowl. Toss to mix well. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
-Put in fridge for an hour to blend, toss well and then serve.

*I added a bit more lime and pepper.
**Adding Tabasco changes the flavor a bit.

No comments:

Cranberry Salsa Dip